1. Eat an Asian-based diet –mostly steamed vegetables, some whole grains, and hand-sized portions of protein (black beans and wild salmon are great choices)
2. Choose Organic foods, especially when meat is being consumed; fruit & veggie spray.
3. Replace all refined sugars and artificial sweeteners, including candy, cookies and “soda” with low-glycemic agave nectar.
4. Replace cow dairy products with goat, almond, rice or hemp milk
5. Set aside refined carbohydrates (white flour, pasta, rice, and wheat); favor sprouted breads (Ezekial or food for life) or breads made with spelt flour, rice flour, oat flour, polenta; and alternative pastas: spelt, brown rice, quinoa, spaghetti squash.
6. Cook with good oils: organic extra virgin olive oil, unrefined sesame oil, unrefined peanut oil, unrefined high oleic sunflower oil
7. Consume good fats including nuts and seeds, avocado, salmon and a good fish oil supplement. Avoid trans-fats in deep fried foods.
8. Choose herbal teas over coffee (both caffeinated & decaffeinated); green tea is acceptable if no sensitivity to caffeine.
9. Limit or avoid alcohol.
10. Combine a protein and carbohydrate at each meal and snack to stabilize blood sugar levels.
11. Stay hydrated throughout the day with room temperature water.
12. Follow the “80/20 rule” enjoy the foods listed above and indulge from time to time.
13. Bless your food.