Breastfeeding True or False
This is a test! Please read the following statements and respond “true” or “false” to each one.
1. If I breastfeed, I have to eat a bland diet.
2. If I eat broccoli, my baby will have gas.
3. If I have a glass of wine, I have to “pump and dump.”
4. I cannot drink coffee while breastfeeding.
5. If I eat chocolate, my breastfed baby will get diarrhea.
6. I have to drink lots of milk to produce milk for my baby.
7. I can’t eat spicy foods and breastfeed my baby.
If you answered false to each question, congratulations! Your score is 100 percent!
1. Babies love a varied diet. One study demonstrated that babies nurse longer after their mothers ate garlic.
2. It is a rare baby who doesn’t like nutritious vegetables. On the other hand, if your baby seems to be gassy after a particular food, try avoiding it for a few days and then re-introduce it just to be sure.
3. Drinking alcohol when breastfeeding is NOT the same as drinking while you’re pregnant. An occasional drink is just fine while breastfeeding.
4 and 5. Caffeine and chocolate in moderation are fine for mom and baby.
6. When was the last time you saw an adult cow or any other adult mammal drink milk?
7. Spicy foods? Mothers all over the world breastfeed and enjoy the foods of their culture.
So, indulge in the nutritious foods you love. Enjoy the occasional pleasure of a glass of wine or some yummy chocolate. You deserve it!
Written by Renee Beebe, M.Ed., IBCLC. Renee is a lactation consultant in private practice in Seattle, Washington. She is available for home/hospital visits and phone consultations. Renee can be reached at www.second9months.com